The Parish of St Barnabas and St Paul with St Thomas the Martyr, Oxford
“How long was the peril, how breathless the day,
In topaz and beryl, the sun dies away,
His rays lying static at quarter to six
On polychromatical lacing of bricks.
Good Lord, as the angelus floats down the road
Byzantine St Barnabas, be Thine Abode.”
From ‘St Barnabas Oxford’ by Sir John Betjeman
St Barnabas Jericho is a fine Victorian Basilica-style Church in west Oxford. Built in 1869, its founders and benefactors were committed to serving the needs of the local population of the remarkable district of Jericho. Today, as we are about to celebrate 150 remarkable years of a Christian presence in this place, we are still committed to excellence in liturgy and music, and to mission through encouragement and compassion to everyone who comes here.